Pre Terms  

Posted by Sumantra

The Pre-terms have started & with it I'm officially back to studies. I have signed up for the Quants & Stats pre-terms. Obviously, I don't need to take the Accounts module.

I always thought that I was pretty decent in both Maths & Stats. I was in for a rude shock. Time has rusted all my basic math skills. I cannot remember anything. Period. I walked into the class on the first day with a swagger but now I'm scared. I feel so hollow about the concepts, that their application seems like a distant mirage. The only solace is I can see the other guys struggling in equal measure.

The alums had mentioned that the pre-terms are useless & to an extent they are correct. The speed at which it is going is ridiculous even if it is meant only as a brush-up exercise. Howver, the good thing is that it gets you in the classroom groove and prepares you for 2 long hours in the class. I mean, we always had 40 minute periods in school & college to the extent I always felt that this is some sort of a global norm. 2 hours???? First time I heard it I thought that it must be some sort of joke. But I will survive.

Another habit which I seem to be carrying forward from my school & college days is sleeping in class. We had 3 Stats classes till date & I have slept for some duration in each of them. The scary part is that we have all our 1st term classes early in the morning. I seriously hope that I don't snooze onto glory in them. That would be some embarassment.

On a different note, groups are beginning to form among the students. I am still floating around. I know most of the Calcutta gang & some other common interests have helped in knowing other guys.

Finally, 7 of us ganged up to watch the Chelsea vs Liverpool match last night. I having an empty studio, was the host for the night. Tosh brought over a few beers. We expect a more substantial participitation for the Man U - Barca match tonight. Already quite a few guys have confirmed. It's much more fun watching the game in a group than sitting up alone at 1 in the night.

Cheers & ciao

This entry was posted on Wednesday, April 23, 2008 and is filed under , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

4 comments

count u out of what? the match tonight? it was good fun yaar...we were 12 guys tonight... :)

The accounts pre term is the only one worth taking...dont worry..its not only ok to feel clueless during pre-terms but also during core terms...all will work out..

hahaha....i sort of know the feeling...didn't take accounts as i am a CA, so hopefully already have some competency in the area ;)....thanks for the assurance :)