The lull....  

Posted by Sumantra

O-week is finally over. And what a week it was. Days starting from 9 in the morning & ending at 5 in the next morning. Jam packed itinery, endless sessions of gyan, activities, sports etc etc. Today there is nothing on the agenda. Last night only at the party we were discussing this & were saying that today will feel helluva strange. All of a sudden the entire day is ours. We don't have to rush to Khemka at 9, there is nobody to tell us what to do. It's a slightly strange feeling after the high we were in the last week.

I have a few takes from my first week here.

My mind is numb from all the activities. My mind is numb from all the thousands of things that I can do here. My mind is numb from meeting the same 450 people over & over again & re-introducing myself not knowing that we have already met.

I miss Bubu & Arya. The day goes super fast & I just don't have anytime but at night when I go back to my empty studio I feel very alone. I wish they were here with me but seeing my schedule here it's probably better this way.

There will always be some people who want to impose themselves from the very first day. Super active dudes....sending mass mails...let's do this, let's do that....always extra enthu in class. These people generally have an opinion about everything, whether it is relevant or not is a totally different issue. I understand the human urge to show-off but it's only been 1 week. There will surely be lot of time for all this exta hyper activities.

The food served here deserves a special point of mention. The dining hall serves a new menu every day. They have some kind of a 14 day no repeat system. What that means is that we get new stuff to eat everyday. What it does not tell is that all of it is bad. Seriously, all of it.

Nothing is ISB is "free". There is a hidden or not so hidden cost to everything. I think we'll find out in more detail as the year progresses.

Probably the most important thing I have to do here is prioritize. You possibly cannot do everything. There would be lot of things which you would probably not experience at all. the key is to make sure you do the things that interest you & move on. Don't look back on the things which you could not do. It is not humanely possible. Just move on.

I was very impressed with the alums. They spent a lot of time organizing the O-week & they ran it beautifully. Full marks to their enthu & their org skills. One good pointer to that is if one year later we are capable of doing this for the Class of 2010 then we are at the right place!!!!

It has been an exhilirating week. If this is a pointer to the rest of the year then I am quite impressed. I think the year should be good fun.

This entry was posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 and is filed under , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments