What a week...  

Posted by Sumantra

Term 1 has started and time has duly moved on to our first weekend. I say weekend, but this my friend, is unlike any other weekend I have ever seen. Weekend to me, at least after my CA, meant curling up with a good book, going to a movie or just lazing around the house like a mindless oaf or if I really had some inspiration then indulging in a bit of cooking. And before I can hear the surreptitious sniggers...I am a good cook. But coming back to the point. I had no idea that 1 week could drain me out so much both mentally & physically.

I mean last week around this time I was quite confident of the whole scheme of things. There are only 2 classes per day. Surely that gives me enough time to go home & revise the day's stuff & also do the pre-read for the next day....I rationalised. Man, how wrong I was. I seem to stumble along from class to class & after that the day passes in a blur. By the time you start to recollect on how the day went you realise it's around 2 at night & you better hit the sack for next day's class. And so goes the cycle.

To my defence this week had the Champion's League Semis. And me being the die-hard football freak, no way was I going to miss these matches. I watched both the matches....& for once had both the results going my way. Yippeeeee to that!! What this also meant that I slept at 2.30 or 3 at night & next day had to somehow wake up & run to class. My state of agony can be further understood from the fact that it's been 5 days since I last had breakfast. In hindsight, my decision to opt for only lunch & dinner seems to be a smart one.

The classes, I must say are amazing. We have this whole bunch of amazing profs....among them 2 from Wharton & 1 from Duke. The pedagogy is absolutely brilliant & the way they orchestrate the class is just mind-blowing. After my interaction with some equally oppositely amazing profs in my B. Com days I had a very clear picture of Indian profs & the education system in my mind. And man....has it been blown apart. If this is the standard of faculty & the quality of teaching then this probably has been the smartest decision of my life. Though I am struggling with the subjects it is more to do with the fact that I am a moron rather than the Profs. I mean, I just get blanked out at times.

That said, I am having a gala time in the Accounting class. According to Prof M, who is taking the class....the CA's can do this stuff with their eyes closed. But I am taking....as the Prof said, the "Red Pill". Basically he's given all the CA's an option of doing a team report on any accounting issue of our choosing. It's probably much more difficult than the regular Accounts course & I may be running a risk of loosing my advantage in the only subject I know something about. But the way I look at it is not the short term grades (which anyways will be a disaster) but maybe a medium term picture. Our group has taken up the topic of "Carbon credits and accounting implications". I actually have been quite keen on this area for quite some time and had been thinking of doing an independent study on this sometime later during the year. So once the topic was proposed I just jumped at it. Prof M was also very encouraging. During our meeting today, he said that this is a topic about which he also doesn't know much & would be looking at us to enlighten him!!! So officially, I am now out of the accounting class. No attendance, no quiz & no exams.

Coming to 'CP'. Now I still do not understand why 'CP' carries marks. To top that, it's been 2 classes & I am yet to open my account. It's not that I have not tried. I have raised my hand a lot of times. But like some other enlightened people I cannot do it all the time simply because I don't have an opinion on everything. We have had Arbit 'CP' which to the uninitiated means 'CP' just for the heck of it. These are the people who gets everybody's goat. Section C had a novel solution. Their CP master has been mass dunked around 16 times couple of days back. We probably have to something on similar lines. A new term which has been doing the rounds lately is Despo 'CP'. This typically happens sometime later during the term. Essentially the guy realises that he has still not done any CP & now to get his marks he has to resort to CP at any cost. I believe in there lies my destiny.

Finally, we had a big dunking session last night. All the people born in April were dunked along with the prospective CP king of our class. And then it was time for mass dunking. Around 30 of us jumped into the pool at the same time. Man....that was fun. After that we had another PARTYYYYYYYYY. By this time I was blown. I had played tennis in the evening & when I turned up I was already dog tired. To top it, there was no beer. I mean, how can a party run out of beer? Even funnier was that even the glasses were finished. So you had this bottle of whisky sitting beside rum/vodka etc & there was nothing to drink them from. Somebody had a great idea & got those cups which are kept with the coffee vending machines. So I ordered a vodka. The guy said that they have only Fanta to go with it. So at 2 at night I ended up drinking a vodka with Fanta out of a stryfoam cup. How much more weird can life get?

While I was walking back at 3 in the night, I saw another gang staggering on the way to the party. Apparently they already had a binge in their rooms and were going to the party to get even more sloshed. I met one of them in the Atrium today around 6 in the evening & he said that he needs to have his breakfast!!!! Man, I am in love with this place

We also have assignments/reports/quizzes. I'll not dwell on them as studies tend to be inherently boring. Maybe in a rainy day when I've nothing else to write about I'll bore you with all that crap.

This entry was posted on Friday, May 02, 2008 and is filed under , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments